1. Empowered. Free to live and thrive.
2. Unencumbered. Free from imprisonment.
3. Gratis. Offered free of charge.
Movement Journalism based in Asheville, N.C.
The Asheville Free Press is a community media outlet for news, commentary, criticism, and more. We practice movement journalism, a term defined by southern media collective Press On as “journalism in service to liberation.”
Movement journalism is journalism in service to liberation. This does not mean turning journalists into soapboxes for activists, but fostering collaboration between journalists and grassroots movements, and supporting journalism created by oppressed and marginalized people.
- Press On
- Evidence-backed analysis rooted in embodied experience.
- Autonomy and self-determination.
- Formation by, of, and in service to our communities.
- Engaging the Radical imagination.
- Fostering space for marginalized voices.
- Collective liberation for the planet and all who live on it.
We are committed to a not-for-profit model. 100% of our funding comes out-of-pocket or from the support of community members.
You can support us by becoming a patron.